Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Picture of Ministry

Today, in a meeting, I saw again the “Team Hoyt” video . You may not recognize that name, but many of you have probably seen the video of the man with the handicapped adult son competing together in a triathlon (if you haven't, here is one version ). For the running part, the father is pushing a special wheelchair with the son strapped in, for the swimming part, the father is swimming and pulling the son along in a rubber raft, and they have a specially made bike with the son strapped in above the front wheel and the father pedaling behind.

It’s pretty hard to watch this without some tears appearing in your eyes. The father is so committed to the son, and so obviously loves the son. He certainly has had to work on it and train well, and is in the kind of shape that I wish I could be in (well, sort of, since if I wished for that enough, I’d probably put out a little more effort to that end). But, what also strikes me is that, even though the son is not pedaling, not swimming, not running, he seems to be just as excited or more than the father. Even though he is just sitting there while his father does all the work, the look on his face and the uplifted arms seem to be an expression of victory.

It hit me that this is a good picture of ministry, but I’m probably not going in the direction you think I’m going in. I’m not talking about the servant attitude of the father, even though that is a beautiful picture of a heart of service and ministry to others. I’m talking about the son.

The longer I minister, the more I’m convinced that the only way that ministry is effective is as the spirit works in people’s hearts. It’s not because of my great skills or a great process, or a great plan. It’s because God is at work. The picture I am trying to draw is of God who works and lets us be along for the ride. He gives us the joy and satisfaction of being able to participate in his vision for the world. We get some of the honor when we have actually done almost nothing, but the Spirit has been at work and used us.

What a wonderful thing and what freedom that gives. That’s how much God loves me. He gives me the privilege of service, even when I can do nothing, and even when I think I’ve accomplished something special, in reality it was Him, and I get just to enjoy accomplishment. We need not fear failure, inadequacy, lack of talent, etc. He’s back there pedaling, doing all the work.

Isn't that a true picture of what it means to serve as a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment